Scheduled Events can display up to 4 fields on the Calendar. Sometimes this is not enough to truly identify the event without opening it for more information. If you have customized your Event records you may have Types and Sub Types or track location.
To get more information into the Calendar display, you can use formula fields to concatenate two or more fields into one for display. First decide on what fields you want to show on the calendar. Then choose the ones to consolidate. Keep in mind the length of the fields you are concatenating. If the field is too long the display may be cut off.
For this example I want to display the location, Event Type, and Event Sub Type in one field, giving me a total of 7 fields of information to display.
- Go to Set Up –> Object Manager and select the Activity object.
- Go to Fields & Relationships and create a text formula field. Below is an example:
Location + “ – “ + TEXT(Event_Type__c) + “ – “ + TEXT(Event_SubType__c)
- When asked which layouts to display this value, choose Event. You can also keep the field hidden.
- Next, go to Compact Layouts and select the layout to edit. If there are none to choose from, create a new one.
- Click the Edit
- Remove fields to display from the list on the right and add fields to display from the list on the left. This is where you will add your new summary field.
- Click the Save button and refresh the record. You will see your changes in the Calendar.