Picklists are great for keeping data consistent. By allowing only specific values; reports and processes run smoothly. You can be even more consistent by setting a default value that will prepopulate the field on the screen. For example; if all orders are placed with a Stage of “Draft”, the Stage field can be set to populate when creating new Orders.
You can set the default value when you are creating the Picklist entries or at any time. For this example we will choose the Order object.
- Navigate to:
- Salesforce Classic:Setup | Customize | Order | Fields
- Salesforce Lightning: Setup | Object Browser | Order
- Look for the Stage field (or the field you want to set the default) and select it.
- For Salesforce Lightning, click on Fields & Relationships from the list on the left.
- Click on the Stage field (or the field you want to set the default).
- Click the Editlink next to the Status Value to be set as default.
- Select “Make this value the default for the master picklist“, if any other value selected as default prior, it will be reset automatically.
- Click Save
- The Stage field is now selected as the default value in the list.