A Salesforce Person Account can be helpful when your business has a B2C component to it.
What is a Salesforce Person Account?
A Person Account in Salesforce is essentially an account without any contacts. It stores information about people by combining certain account and contact fields into a single record.
A Salesforce Person Account often represents and individual vs. a company and takes on the characteristics of each.
How Do I Set Up Salesforce Person Accounts?
Until recently, you needed to go to Salesforce support to enable Person Accounts but this is no longer the case.
- Enable Person Accounts by going to Setup and then enter Person Accounts in the Quick Find box and then select Person Accounts. You will be asked to sign off on an Org Impact Acknowledgement since you cannot change back after enabling Person Accounts. Once you have signed off, click Enable Person Accounts and then Enable again.
- Assign the Person Account record type to User Profiles. To do this go to Profiles and scroll down to Record Type Settings. Click Edit and then move Person Account to the Selected Record Type section. Click Save
- You will now need to follow the rest of the instructions related to assigning record types found here
How Do I Create Person Accounts?
Person Accounts can be created in several ways:
- Upon lead conversion – any lead that has a blank Company field will automatically be converted to a Person Accounts
- Manually by adding a new account – you will see both the Person and Customer Account as options
- Change an existing record – go to Change Record Type and select Person Account
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any Salesforce questions or support you need. Feel free to comment below. We’d love to hear your thoughts!