The Contact Search Center has more functionality than just finding the contact whose record you want pulled up. It also allows for displaying the contacts of filters or groups and lets you print out the results or output them to another application for further manipulation. When a report doesn’t pull the data you want, a Power Search just may be the answer! Read more
When you add a referral record to a contact, you create a link between the Referee and the Referred. You can report and track referrals. Read more
Tagging contact records is a way to hand-pick multiple contacts to perform certain operations. Tagged records are treated the same as an activated filter or group. Read more
There are times when you send a mass mailing or other activity outside of GoldMine but would still like to have a history record attached to the records that participated. Some examples are if you sent holiday card or gifts, presentations, or any action done in mass that needs a history record. Read more
When you need a filter that is similar to one you already have there is no need to create a new one. You can clone it, change it, and save as a new filter. Read more
To easily access files associated with a contact record, use the Links tab and create either a link to a specific file or to an entire folder or directory of files. Read more
Sometimes Rich Text can interfere with reporting or some older systems. To turn OFF all Rich Text in GoldMine:
1. Select Tools | Configure | System Settings | Display.
2. Select “Plain Text” at the bottom.
3. Ok your way out.
This will turn off Rich Text for all users, so be careful! But for those who experience problems with it, this can be a real life saver.
The perennial love/hate part of GoldMine: The Notes Tab. So let’s get the easy part out of the way.
To add a note, simply go to Notes tab. Click “Add Note”. Type in your Note. How can you say no to that? What easier way to record an Appointment or Call than this?
DON’T DO IT.
Notes ARE the place to store:
1. Driving directions.
2. Shipping instructions.
3. Login information for a website.
They are NOT the place for History. This is because
1. Notes are not easily Searchable.
2. Notes are not easily Reportable.
3. If you keep notes for years, it can make your entire GoldMine system slow. We’re dealing with a client now who is experiencing this very same issue. Ten years of recording phone calls in Notes, and GoldMine takes FOREVER to start. I mean, like minutes.
So be safe and use Notes responsibly!
This is something that I rarely see done, but it’s an awesome time saver: changing the default buttons on your toolbar. You can actually add any item from the GoldMine menu onto your toolbar. It’s easy!
1. Find and click on the “little down arrow” that is on the far right edge of your toolbar.
2. Select Add or Remove Buttons | Customize | Commands.
3. From the “Customize” window, the idea is to click-drag the desired menuitem from the list up onto the toolbar. You’ll see that you can place the menuitem anywhere on the bar.
4. To delete an item, simply click-drag it off of the toolbar. It’s just that easy.
You’ll be surprised at how much more effective this can make you in GoldMine. You should really give this a try!
You may realize that the number of SQL records returned in the query tool is limited to a few thousand rows. This can be changed, however!
1. Select Tools | Configure | System Settings from the top level menu.
2. Go to the Display Tab.
3. Change the number of maximum sql query records to whatever amount you want. But use care: larger numbers will increase your GoldMine startup time.
Try it, and have fun!